Physical Plant Director–UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF (Pine Bluff, Arkansas)
Under the direction of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration, the Director of Physical Plant is responsible for the overall management of the Physical Plant including, but not limited to the maintenance, operations, non-capital renovations and construction projects of all campus facilities. The Physical Plant of the main campus is comprised of 61 buildings with approximately 1.2 million square feet of space, and 318 acres of land. The services provided by the Physical Plant staff affect every segment of the University community.
1. Develops and implements policies and procedures for operations and protection of the university facilities, employees and students. Analyzes and interprets all federal, state and local laws and other legislation regarding buildings, grounds, utilities, employee safety and public safety which affect the department and the university.
2. Supervises directly the assistant director, administrative and clerical staff. Supervises through administrative staff the custodial, grounds, maintenance, hvac, motor pool, central stores & receiving and construction staff. Hires, evaluates and disciplines personnel. Plans and implements the organization of work, and appropriate training for department needs and requirements.
3. Manages the department’s budgets including justifying expenses, monitoring accounts, and approving expenditures.
4. Leads the development of plans, projects, and programs for renewing, renovating, constructing and maintaining physical assets. Assists other departments in proposing and cost of projects and supervises work done on all facilities. Monitors all capital project monies and controls and limits change orders.
5. Plans and manages all construction of university facilities including accurate budgets, controlling expenditures and resolving disputes. Maintains capital projects including asbestos, ada compliance and lead management.
6. Prioritizes work requests and coordinates internal and external services as required.
7. Incorporates energy saving measures and monitors all utility conservation at the least cost.
8. Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies for safety issues.
9. Develops a systematic plan for maintenance of campus facilities and grounds.
Work is performed primarily in an office setting with outside exposure to monitor employees, facilities and renovation and construction projects. This position is on-call 24 hours per day, seven days per week to respond to building operations and protection.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or related field. Five years experience in the management of a large organizational unit involved in providing services to a wide range of clients. Experience must include supervisory, fiscal, planning and evaluation. Knowledge of functions performed in physical plant operations and ability to direct those functions are a plus. Must be proficient with PC applications, working knowledge of physical plant software or systems are also plus. RELATED SKILLS: Attention to detail and accuracy; customer service attitude; effective communications skills including listening, oral and written skills; ability to interact with a diverse group of people and influence decisions; willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends as required, sometimes on short notice, to ensure the safety and comfort of the university populace.
Application Process: Submit a cover letter and resume to:
Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
1200 N. University Drive
Mail Slot #4922
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
Review of application will begin immediately and will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.