Job Description Position Title: Director of Athletics
Reports To: Vice President of Student Affairs
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All duties listed are essential functions for the position. It is understood that other related duties may be assigned.
General Function (Description):
The Athletic Director of Clark Atlanta University will provide leadership and direction for all competitive intercollegiate sports programs. Current intercollegiate sports include Football, Baseball, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Men’s and Women’s Cross-Country, Men’s and Women’s Track and Field, Women’s Tennis, Volleyball, and Softball. The Athletic Director is responsible for maintaining an athletic program that stresses the student-athlete concept. The Athletic Director is required to abide by the rules and regulations established by Clark-Atlanta University, the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC), and the NCAA.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative direction and oversight for all athletic programs and activities.
- Supervise full and part-time athletics staff.
- Monitor equality of opportunity in Men’s and Women’s athletics.
- Collaborate on the preparation of press releases and the arrangement of media coverage for athletic events.
- Attend team practice sessions and games and provide in-person support for the coaching staff and student athletes.
- Conduct and present an annual evaluation of each head coach.
- Recruit Student athletes in coordination with the Admissions Office and develop alumni athletic events, community relationships and fundraising opportunities.
- Generate revenue through programs.
- Coordinate the development of long-term strategies and facilities plans.
- Provide leadership for marketing the athletic programs among students, faculty, staff alumni and the community
- Provide and maintain athletic departmental budget and oversight of team budgets.
- Maintain official departmental files, records and prepare reports.
- Coordinate search committees for selection of new coaches.
- Meet with head coaches on a regular basis and provide support for the professional development of the coaching staff members.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge in sports administration, marketing, promotion and fundraising.
- Demonstrate a complete knowledge and understanding of athletic procedures and compliance guidelines of the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, National Collegiate Athletic Association and the institution.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and ability to respond to the general public concerning the total athletic program.
- Demonstrate excellent judgment and strong decision-making skills.
- Demonstrate and exhibit high standards of moral and ethical conduct.
- Demonstrate fair and impartial treatment of staff, student-athletes and recognize the dignity of each person.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
Bachelor’s Degree Required.
Master’s Degree in Physical Education, Administration or related field.
Doctorate in Sports Administration preferred.
Years of Experience
5-10 years collegiate experience in Division II Athletics, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
A strong commitment to the Student-Athlete concept and a working knowledge of the NCAA rules and regulations is required.
Years of Management/Supervisor Experience
10 years of Supervisory experience preferred.
Clark Atlanta University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
|Postal Address:||Office of Human Resources
Clark Atlanta University
223 James P. Brawley Dr., SW
Atlanta, GA 30314