|Classification Title:||Director of Public Relations|
|Working Title:||Director of Public Relations|
|Department:||Office Of The President|
|Job Summary/Basic Function:||The Director of University Public Relations (DPR) will create efficient systems to enable the Office of Public Relations to serve the Office of the President, academic departments, divisions and special projects in fulfilling major communication initiatives. The Director of University Public Relations is responsible for the overall marketing and communication of those programs that interpret the mission of the University to its multiple constituencies,both internal and external, in order to create a climate of public and private support for the fulfillment of that mission.The DPR provides recommendations on policy and action in the management of issues and crises affecting the university, including media relations.He/she provides oversight and coordination for the offices within the area of University Relations, including Public Information and Publications.General duties will include:
1. Serves as the University spokesperson on University-wide concerns at the request of the President and provides counsel and advice on major public relations issues2. Oversees the operations of the offices of Public Information and Publications
3. Develops a public relations and marketing program which supports and advances the comprehensive University constituencies among its various constituents.
4. Provides direction and counsel for the administration of the University’s graphics and communications program, oversees an external communication program to ensure that standards of high quality are maintained.
5. Develops and implements the campus’s media relations for print and broadcast media at the local, state and national levels.
6. Working with deans, faculty and administration, assess their public relations needs and develops and implements programs accordingly to meet those needs.
7. Develop and implement a strategic marketing program.
8. Coordinates media strategy in support of the University’s development efforts.
9. Counsels the University on issues management and media relations.
10. Develops and oversees the actions of the institution’s crisis management plan.
11. Develops a program of internal communications for the University.
|Minimum Qualifications:||A demonstrated track record of preparing and placing news stories or features in local, state and national media.Strong interpersonal skills.Exceptional oral and written communication skills.Ability to work with multiple constituencies both internal and external to the organization.
Thorough knowledge of principles and methods of planning and conducting a comprehensive public relations program, including the development and implementation of a strategic marketing plan.
Previous supervisory experience, preferably in the area of public relations, public information, communications or publications.
|Preferred Qualifications:||Education:A bachelor’s degree in mass communication, journalism or an appropriate related field.Graduate degree preferred.Experience:
A minimum of 5 to 10 years experience in journalism or public relations.
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicants:||Application Requirements: (1)a list of four references, (2) a cover letter, (3)a resume or vitae. All three items must be attached in order to have the application reviewed for consideration.|
|Position Category:||Monthly Staff|