Assistant Director for Public Services
The Hampton University William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library invites nominations and applications for the position of Assistant Director for Public Services. The anticipated start date is May 1, 2019.
Founded in 1868, Hampton University is a leading historically black university (HBCU) located on the Virginia Peninsula in the City of Hampton. It is a privately endowed, co-educational, nonsectarian institution.
The mission of the University Libraries which include the William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library, the Architecture Library, the Music Library and the Information Resource Center (IRC) at the Hampton University College of Virginia Beach, is to support the instructional, research, and service needs of the Hampton University community. This is achieved through access and delivery of information services and literature that is essential to academic and teaching excellence, leadership, and lifelong learning. The University Libraries are the focal point for all information and research that is required for student success; faculty advancement; and staff, alumni, and community learning. It is around this mission and vision that development of library services is based.
Duties and Responsibilities
The position will assist the Library Director with administrative oversight for public services of the libraries. Additionally, the position will plan and participate in service and program activities that advance the strategic goals of the libraries. Other duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Provide circulation and reference services to the user community using established and emerging methods of communication.
- Assist students, faculty, and staff with the effective use of information and learning resources.
- Participate in the development and delivery of instructional activities for students and faculty.
- Develop research guides and other materials that assist the user community with accessing the collection.
- Stay abreast of emerging technologies that impact the use and delivery of information resources.
- Maintain statistical data and prepare reports relative to reference activities and circulation services.
- Develop and implement new services and programs to meet the needs of the user community in coordination with other librarians and staff.
- Serve as an advocate for the library by serving on library, university, and regional committees and by participating in professional development activities.
Required: An ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science is required for this position. Demonstrated experience in public services. Two years or more of supervisory experience in library services is required. Additional qualifications include the following:
- Knowledge of issues and trends relative to public services in academic libraries.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with a diverse group of students, faculty, and staff.
- Must have a strong commitment to service and teamwork.
Excellent oral and written communication skills, presentation, and interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit a Hampton University Application for Employment for faculty, a cover letter, resume’ and list of references. Applications may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Tina D. Rollins- Library Director
The William R. and Norma B. Harvey Library
129 William R. Harvey Way
Hampton, VA 23668
*Hampton University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Application for Faculty Employment
- Supplemental Application Questionnaire
- Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability