Annual Giving Associate – Development and Alumni Relations
Howard University Mission:
Howard University is a comprehensive, research-oriented, historically Black private university providing an educational experience of exceptional quality to students of high academic potential with particular emphasis upon the provision of educational opportunities to promising Black students. Further, the University is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and research, committed to the development of distinguished and compassionate graduates and to the quest for solutions to human and social problems in the United States and throughout the world.
Salary commensurate with qualifications, education & University guidelines.
This position will plan and direct the implementation of direct mail, online and telephone solicitations, acknowledgments, data management and printing of programs for alumni and other constituent groups. In addition to basic functions of this position, they will assist in Annual Giving initiatives and supervises student Tele-Center Ambassadors.
Supervises Tele-Center Ambassadors.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts include executives, administrators, facility, students and staff of the department and the university at large. External contacts include consultants, representatives from other colleges and universities, visitors and the general public.
- Manages the daily operations of the Howard University Tele-Center, including but not limited to tracking of Tele-Center pledges and organizing data pertinent to various requested reports.
- Provides support to various stakeholders that are using the University’s crowdfunding platform.
- Assists in the preparation of final reports, recommendations and other information resources for the improvement of the direct mail, online, and telephone solicitation programs.
- Coordinates and executes annual fund mailings online appeals, and telephone solicitations.
- Provides supervision and training to student Tele-Center Ambassadors on Telephone Fundraising best practices.
- Directs the collection and transmission of Alumni information to the Central Databases, and work with Advancement Services to enhance Data integrity.
- Assists in planning and coordinating administrative activities of the program, and in the formulation and preparation of the organization budgets.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of trends, methods and practices in fundraising, telemarketing and direct mail campaigns.
- Knowledge Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate in a concise, professional and persuasive manner, both orally, in writing and via presentations.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Skill in program coordination and fundraising.
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate tasks and provide supervision and guidance to student workers (Ambassadors).
- Skill in project management organization, teamwork and negotiation.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly, to be flexible and responsive to change, develop alternatives, options and solutions.
- Ability to be detail oriented, establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to use good judgment, to make sound decisions and behave with tact decorum and diplomacy.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious work relations with students, faculty, staff, university officials and the general public.
Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Business/Public Administration, or a closely related field. One year of relevant experience or the equivalent combination of (5) years combined relevant education and experience. Experience in telemarketing and institutional fundraising, highly desired.
Note: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The university has the right to revise this position description at any time. This position description is not be construed as a contract for employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, marital status, religion, or disability. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Inquiries regarding provisions for persons with disabilities, equal employment opportunity and Title IX should be directed to the Office of Employee Relations and Equal Employment Opportunity at (202) 202-806-1280.