Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
Associate Vice President, Information Technology/CIO
Position #17358 – Updated
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU), the largest of the nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities, invites applications for the position of Associate Vice President for Information Technology/CIO. Individuals with an in-depth knowledge of current practices in information technology leadership and strategic planning are desired.
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is one of twelve state-supported universities in Florida. The University is governed by a 13-member Board of Trustees which is governed by the Florida Board of Governors. FAMU is an 1890 land-grant Comprehensive/Doctoral University, which was established by the Legislature in 1887 in the capital city of Tallahassee. The University currently has an enrollment of approximately 10,000 students and over 700 faculty members who provide instruction, research, and service through 13 colleges and schools. The University has been an historic leader in recruiting National Achievement Scholars and has been number one in the production of African American baccalaureate graduates. In addition to 54 outstanding baccalaureate programs, FAMU offers 29 master’s level programs, three professional programs, including the JD in the College of Law, The Doctor of Public Health and 11 Ph.D. programs.
The Associate Vice President for Information Technology/CIO, reports directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration/CFO and serves as the Chief Information Officer for the University. The Associate Vice President for Information/CIO will lead a process-driven service based information technology organization and will advise the President, Vice Presidents, and Deans, Directors and Department Heads on all areas related to academic (instructional and research) and administrative computing, technology infrastructure, support and related services. The Associate Vice President/CIO is also expected to collaborate with and provide leadership to external stakeholders and audiences.
The Associate Vice President/CIO will:
- Oversee support and services for technical issues (hardware, software, network infrastructure, telecommunications and distance education);
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of technology facilities;
- Plan, organize and direct the daily activities and set “best practices” processes for Enterprise Information Technology;
- Formulate policies and establish priorities and standards for infrastructure design, hardware and software purchases and updates, lab protocol and support services;
- Manage, negotiate and execute installation procedures for all University licenses;
- Conduct regular assessment of organizational needs.
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field and seven years of appropriate experience; or a Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or related field and a minimum of nine years of appropriate experience.
To perform this job successfully and individual must have:
- Experience in planning and leading large, complex IT initiatives including the installation of enterprise information systems (such as PeopleSoft, Banner, or other comparable systems);
- Experience in network management and help desk operations;
- In-depth knowledge of current practices in information technology leadership, strategic planning, budgeting, auditing, and vendor management;
- Excellent managerial, performance management, teambuilding, career and organizational development skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively to diverse and internal and external constituencies, and to collaborate across a wide range of administrative areas and academic disciplines and organizations; and
- Ability to develop, recommend and implement financial strategies.
Applicants must apply online at http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?hr&Employment by October 17, 2014. Application materials must include a resume, cover letter addressing how the applicant’s experiences match the position requirements, and contact information for at least five (5) references.
For more information about Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, please visit:http://www.famu.edu
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Employer, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Successful candidate is subject to a pre-employment screening which includes a review of criminal records, reference checks and verification of education
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (850) 599-3076.
This search is being conducted under Florida law, including the Sunshine law and public records law.
The Office of Human Resources
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
211 Foote-Hilyer Administration Center
Tallahassee, Florida 32307